Brave Space Alliance | Chicago, IL | Hyde Park based, mobility around Chicago required
$70,000 yearly salary or commensurate with experience, benefits, PTO, and regular opportunities for salary increases.
This is a full time role at Brave Space Alliance. Target Start Date of January 1st.
The Director of Operations oversees the day-to-day administrative work of Brave Space Alliance, and the maintenance of Brave Space Alliance’s various properties. They manage and develop the systems, processes, procedures, and organizational models that help BSA move and succeed. The Director of Operations is a wide-ranging role, requiring competence, diligence, and a willingness to learn. This role acts as the direct supervisor for the Operations Associate, the Office Manager, the Security Contractor, and all other and future staff and contractors hired for the Operations Department. The Director of Operations is a full-time role on the Leadership Team of Brave Space Alliance and reports directly to the COO.
Flexible Schedule and Work/Life Balance
- Brave Space Alliance offers unlimited PTO to all staff
- Calling in Black/Trans policies to allow for self-care and prioritizing mental health
- Paid 3-month sabbatical after 5 years of service at BSA
Healthcare including 3 PPO plans, 1 HMO plan, and Vision/Dental insurance
- Vision/Dental covered at 100% by BSA
- Matching coverage for the spouse/children of staff members
- Medical plans provided by Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Vision and Dental provided by Guardian
Gender Affirming Benefits
- Help with name or documentation changes
- Flexible leave options for transition-related care
- Receive and complete major paperwork and filings for organization, including insurance, construction, and other operational reporting and required documentation.
- Develop, manage, track, and report on the budget, expenses, and itemized revenue and costs for the Operations department. Ensure the Department adheres to the submitted and approved budget each fiscal year.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the organization, including overseeing all internal functions.
- Serves as Brave Space Alliance’s main logistical coordinator, ensuring that BSA always has what the organization needs to continue operations in accordance with current and future scaling models.
- Create, improve, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization that will improve operational and financial effectiveness.
- Plan and oversee the organization’s use of the current and future facilities, including acquisition, renovation, and expansion.
- Identify professional development opportunities for Operations Department staff members, including conferences, speaking engagements, and committees.
- Completing performance reviews in a prudent manner.
- Assessing and implementing improved processes and new technologies, and collaborating with leadership regarding the implementation of these improvements.
- Write and submit reports to the COO in all matters of importance.
- Participate in organizational expansion activities (investments, acquisitions, organizational alliances etc.).
- Manage relevant relationships with partners organizations where delegated by COO.
- Delegating other responsibilities to ensure staff members grow as capable participants.
- Oversee BSA’s Training Program through the Operations Associate, and ensure invoicing, payment, and training development are done to BSA’s standards.
- Coordinate with the Office Manager and other members of the Leadership team to organize, direct, and allocate volunteers and non-programmatic internships at BSA.
- Other duties as assigned by the COO.
- 3-5 years of experience in operations, knowledge of non-profit operations preferred
- Ability to autonomously manage BSA properties and procedures
- Experience in evaluating and managing non-profit liability insurance and risk-management
- Experience interacting with developers or general contractors, understanding of retail construction best practices
- Ability to keep and maintain schedules for projects with staff and contactors/excellent project management skills
- Compile and develop presentations and briefings for COO on relevant Operations topics
- Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate a wide range of different processes and procedures
- Deep understanding of the intersections of race, trans/non-binary identity, and class
- Experience organizing on Chicago’s South Side, especially in low-income and Black communities
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong teamwork and team-building skills
- Ability to supervise diverse trans staff
- Capable of developing and hiring new positions for the organization as needed
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, GSuite, and social media communication
- Strong commitment to serving the trans community of Chicago
- Strong commitment to intersectional justice and trans liberation
- Robust and dynamic problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- 3-5 of experience in Operations
- The position requires the ability to travel extensively within Chicago, primarily within the South Side
- The position requires frequent internal communication about the day-to-day of the organization
- Must be able to work effectively within a community-based environment
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Brave Space Alliance are made in a nondiscriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.