Brave Space Alliance is a grassroots funded initiative created trans people of color for trans people of color to generates opportunities for ourselves, our families and our comrades to engage in healing, community building and the creating of kinship. We strive to educate and empower each other through sharing skills, knowledge and resources as we build towards the liberation of all oppressed people.
BSA is a vehicle to organize trans people of color to fill the void of representation of POC voices included in making key decisions that impact the trans community at large. By focusing our efforts on creating space and building capacity in three key areas, we aim to create opportunities for our communities to thrive unapologetically in their truths:
- Health and Wellness – We see health as a broad concept encompassing the wellbeing of our whole persons, and our whole community. Trans people face unique barriers to living full, healthy lives. We combat these by providing trans-led and affirming space, promoting food justice through our community farm, and leading healthy cooking and eating initiatives with our harvests.
- Leadership Development – We hold monthly workshops for TGNC community members of all ages for political education, job preparedness, campaign organizing and more, in order to ensure there are intergenerational opportunities for trans people to develop themselves and their community.
- Visibility – We want trans people to be seen when, where and how they want to be seen. For us, visibility is about helping trans people share their stories and show up in action in ways that are determined by each individual on their own terms.
BSA pushes the language of ‘safety’ because we understand that safety for our general society is a concept that actually oppresses us. We are revising our language, instead emphasizing the importance of bravery, because it requires bravery to confront the systems that deny trans people of color true safety. Our goal in using this framework is to help the TGNC community better understand and rise to the challenges of genuine dialogue for social transformation and justice.
As trans and gender nonconforming people of color, we acknowledge structural oppression impacts our everyday lives and the lives of our allies. We are here to share, learn and grow in a place of love that is affirming of and accountable to whom we are and aspire to be. We hope that by creating such a space for ourselves, we can generate the tools we need to make similar shifts possible in our larger society.
In order to bring about the kind of world where trans people of color are loved, supported, and liberated from violence, we espouse these core political values as part of our long-term vision, and as platforms we intend to support through our organizing:
- Prison Abolition (decriminalization)
- Employment Justice
- Economic Equity (redistributing resources)